Sunday, January 29, 2012

Objection!

JV Mock Trial

In my school system, there is a special program called the Student Enrichment Program (S.T.E.P.). S.T.E.P. is for students who get an A or higher in math and language arts. My S.T.E.P. class got to participate in a JV Mock Trial. A mock trial is when the S.T.E.P. classes create a fake court case, and we all act as attornies and witnesses. We put together this trial, and one day, after school, we present it in front of a real attorney, who then grades from a 1 - 10. We did this on Friday, January 20th. I was an attorney for the defense, which means that I was trying to prove that Jackie Demathers, the suspect, only robbed the gas station under duress (he was threatened). I had to dress up in a suit and tie, and present my case. We were against our cross-town rival, the other school in the district. The judge scored us based on how well we acted our part, and how good our questions were. All six S.T.E.P. teams from my school won, beating the other school 6 to 0. I was one of the only people who got a ten, according to my judge. I got a 10 on my closing argument, which the "speech" that I had to give at the end of the trial, concluding all the events and testimonies in the trial.

To view my closing argument, click here.

2 comments:

  1. You really did an awesome job that day!! You should add the actual closing argument to this post as well....

    Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add a link to the Google Docs page...

      Delete